WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE!
The purposes of the VFW are fraternal, patriotic, historical, charitable, and educational; to preserve and strengthen comradeship among its members; to assist worthy comrades; to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, and to assist their widows and orphans; to maintain true allegiance to the Government of the United States of America, and fidelity to its Constitution and laws; to foster true patriotism; to maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom; and to preserve and defend the United States from all her enemies, whomsoever.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, with its Auxiliaries, includes about 2.1 million members in over 8,000 Posts worldwide. Its mission is to "honor the dead by helping the living" through veterans' service, community service, national security and a strong national defense. The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service. These organizations merged in 1914 and became known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. The VFW was chartered by Congress in 1936.
Growlersburg VFW Post No. 9241 was chartered by the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States on April 12, 1947. Organizationally, it is part of the VFW Department of California and VFW District 17 Department of California.
Ladies Auxiliary 9241 was chartered by the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States on May 4, 1947.
The Post is located in Georgetown, California, in the Gold Rush area of the Georgetown Divide in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The name "Growlersburg" was chosen because of a story that Georgetown was originally called Growlersburg. The story goes that the miners called the nuggets "growlers" because they said they were so large in the gold pans that they growled!